Sunday, May 13, 2018

Garden progress: 1 week

I transferred the corn to the bags. Then I realized I needed to germinate more corn.

I have sowed the morning glories. There were so many more of the heavenly blue variety than pearly gates, presumably because they're hard to take care of, but I ended up sprinkling them at the back of the flower bed in the back. There's a weed-killing sheet that my father placed last year that we're leaving in; we're certain that plants can grow their roots through it.
Anyway, we'll need to keep the soil moist for the next few days, and I'm not planning on sowing any more seeds until the morning glories have sprouted.

We went ahead and bought a starter plant for watermelons because we've had so much trouble getting them started. It turns out the peat pots we initially sowed them in were too old to nourish them. We have a few more recent peat pots set aside for other plants. We're testing more watermelon seeds as well nearly-ten-year-old viola and marigold seeds.

I have all my sunflower seeds set aside in a cake pan under a damp paper towel to germinate for the next few days as well. They will grow in jiffy pots near where the corn will rest on one side of our backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment